[LMMS-devel] Proposal for a simple arpeggio modification
Riki Slugic
2016-10-31 20:02:47 UTC
Hello again,

After a few days of enthusiastic remembering about QT and C++ (some
years of java and php made me forget many things), reading, studying,
the criticisms provided (I really appreciate the prompt and precious
reply to posts and questions), the tutorials regarding midi, github
etc. etc. I am daring to submit a small change in the arpeggio files.

As I am digging into midi and the lmms code, slowly (very)
understanding some of the features which led to such an elegant and
functional implementation, I can just admire the work that has been
done!

The arpeggio section caught my imagination, I'm using it a lot and as
it is it already produces marvellous effects: it's potential goes far
beyond simple scale repetition!

I currently use the diff I'm proposing here to set up rhythms in
conjunction with the excellent tempo syncing.
Up to now I only added the possibility to use -1 as a semitone,
substituting it with a boundary constant.

But this is just temporary and here follows the next step:

I've just forked the lmms repo (I am thankful for the clear
explanations) and will try to do the following (won't be easy, I'm not
a pro, know little c and am working only in my spare time):

- the arpeggio data at present work through an array of hardcoded char
semitones.
I'll try to change that into an array of structs (key, volume,
panning, silenced, active), eliminating the boundary program logic,
too.
the data should reside into text files, maybe json formatted, and in
time there should be an editor for it to be easily edited.

I have a question: all I'm doing is by inspecting and trying to
understand the code. Am I so dumb to have missed any lmms specific
coding notes/tutorials/manuals (all I found so far was work in
progress)?

Hoping not to be too naive and dreamy
I'm sending all my best regards and appreciation
R.
Tres Finocchiaro
2016-11-03 18:29:13 UTC
Am I so dumb to have missed any lmms specific coding
notes/tutorials/manuals (all I found so far was work in progress)?
Our coding conventions are here:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/Coding-conventions

There's not a great "getting started" guide out there yes, so please
continue to ask questions as needed.

If you or anyone has time to start a guide, please do. We're just a bunch
of volunteers so we need all of the help we can get.

We have developers on discord just about all hours of the day:
https://discordapp.com/channels/203559236729438208/207159523616489473

We do have an IRC channel, but discord seems to be the place most
conversations occur. Our website hasn't been updated to reflect this.
Cláudio Pinheiro
2016-11-06 19:38:01 UTC
Hi, Tres.

I tried to join LMMS on discord but the link you sent expired. Could you
please send another one?

Thanks in advance.

Cláudio

Em quinta-feira, 3 de novembro de 2016, Tres Finocchiaro <
Cláudio Pinheiro