[LMMS-devel] Solved: Re: Playback problem in new version - 26th october
Riki Slugic
2016-10-28 13:47:55 UTC
I'm thankful for the prompt reply which led me to solve the situation. I'm
using the machine only for audio production and didn't realize the problem
was elsewhere: still don't know exactly why but reconfiguring jack,
reinstalling the kernel, having a little package cleanup (solved a broken
dependency with zynaddsubfx, this probably, or the jack reconfig. tough
before didn't bother) solved it.

I greatly prise the work of the development team, I think its really
amazing, as with the new versions the program is visibly improving in
usability and quality!

In this respect I can just share my experience: I am not good enough of a
programmer to give any real contribution but love using extensively the
arpeggio module which is rapidly evolving, (very nice the last
contributions btw!!). What I do is to add to the array of hard coded
arpeggio sequences the ones I need and use the function as a sort of
additional notes machine, similar to the beat and bass one.

If I had the means I would maybe add the possibility of editing patterns
through the program (this is the reason I started compiling and inspecting
the code), who knows, maybe adding the capacity to edit the single notes,
their length and velocity...

On 27 Oct 2016 16:48, "Riki Slugic" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, i'm regularly pulling and compiling the code and in this new version
(haven't compiled uploads since last week tough, might be in some previous
release) all the projects im playing live have problems - seems like can't
cope with elaborating information and the sound gets scattered.

Is it only me with this issue?

Congratulations for the awesome effort!
R.
Oskar Wallgren
2016-10-28 17:05:07 UTC
Thanks for the feedback!
I am not good enough of a programmer to give any real contribution...
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. I didn't know much programming at
all when I submitted my first code to LMMS. It's complex, yes, but when you
get down to the nuts and bolts of it you may find that just a bit of
patience will take you a long way.
but love using extensively the arpeggio module which is rapidly evolving,
(very nice the last contributions btw!!). What I do is to add to the array
of hard coded arpeggio sequences the ones I need and use the function as a
sort of additional notes machine, similar to the beat and bass one
This works if you add your new arpeggios/chords to the end of the
ChordTable.

Here's the issue for user added scales:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/241
Issue for new arpeggio functions:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2080

You are welcome to add your thoughts there.
If I had the means I would maybe add the possibility of editing patterns
through the program (this is the reason I started compiling and inspecting
the code), who knows, maybe adding the capacity to edit the single notes,
their length and velocity...
I had the idea a while back to add a function to 'expand' BBTracks and
arpeggiated lines to an ordinary Instrument Track for further editing. It's
not precisely what you're describing. I think I'll add that to the issue
tracker.

PS. Don't miss the forum. It's probably the best place to get help on using
LMMS as it has more active users than the mailing list:
https://lmms.io/forum/index.php